Southern Ocean Lodge
Full Board from €739 per person per night
- In resort assistance & 24 hour contact centre
An intimate boutique resort set on Hanson Bay on Kangaroo Island, Southern Ocean Lodge is a captivating property with a refined and elegant décor. The resort fuses luxury accommodation with unspoiled scenery for an indulgent twist on an authentic nature experience. Known as Australia’s answer to the Galapagos, Kangaroo Island boasts an impressive array of wildlife – nature lovers will be in awe of this picturesque location and the astonishing views from the suites.
You’ll be treated to a warm welcome at this eco resort, where the staff are eager to ensure your stay is memorable, comfortable and exceeds your expectations. The lodge is perfectly in tune with the environment and both the design and the activities available reflect this – enjoy evening treks, seal colony tours and wildlife excursions, to name a few.
Locally-sourced food, wine and art also help to create somewhere that’s truly in keeping with its surroundings. Dining here is a real highlight and enables you to make the most of organic regional produce. The team here use local ingredients to prepare delicious Australian dishes with a modern twist – the attention to detail is evident throughout the resort and really makes stays here extra special.
Enveloped by rocky coves, limestone cliffs and sugary coastlines, Southern Ocean Lodge is located on Kangaroo Island. Set just 15km from mainland South Australia, the lodge is situated on Hanson Bay – a secluded area close to the Kelly Hill Conservation Park. The area remains unspoiled, making it ideally suited to nature walks, seeking out wildlife and swimming or snorkelling amongst the surf.
- Southern Ocean Lodge is a 50 minute drive to the airport or 90 minutes from the ferry terminal
The lodge provides 21 suites with stunning views of the coast.
Each suite features:
- Terrace with seating
- King-size bed
- Lounge area
- Glass-surround bathroom with bathrobes, slippers and hairdryer
- Walk-in wardrobe
- Premium amenities
- In-room safe
- Flinders Suite – Chic suite with king or twin-size beds, sunken lounge and outdoor terrace with a day bed and amazing sea views; sleeps up to two people
- Ocean Retreat – Larger than the Flinders Suite with king-size bed, en-suite with freestanding bathtub, lounge with a fireplace and terrace with a day bed; sleeps up to three people
- Remarkable Suite – Features a king-size bedroom, spacious en-suite with timber bathtub, separate lounge with fireplace, premium entertainment system, expansive outdoor terrace with day bed and spa bath; sleeps up to three people
- Osprey Pavilion – Premium pavilion with amazing views of the surrounding coast and wilderness, curved layout with a sunken lounge and open fire, premium entertainment system, laptop computer, separate bedroom and outdoor terrace with daybeds and private plunge spa; sleeps up to three people
- Ocean Premium – Premium suites with an additional bedroom and bathroom, and separate living room with TV and DVD player; sleeps up to five people
The on-site restaurant is one of the highlights of stays here, with the passion for delicious cuisine evident with every course. Chef Tim Bourke uses local organic produce to create a fresh take on Australian cuisine, paired with regional wines for a memorable and special dining experience.
Guests may help themselves to drinks from the in-suite bar or from the bar in the Great Room; dining can also be enjoyed in-suite, in the restaurant or outside on the terrace.
- Southern Spa with signature spa menu, steam room and lounge area
- Nature treks and bushwalks
- Tours and excursions including half-day tours to the seal colonies
- Swimming and snorkelling
- Mountain biking
- Guided bird watching
The lodge welcomes children over the age of ten only – while older children are welcome, the secluded nature of the property is better suited to couples seeking a unique escape.